THE NELSONS

THE NELSONS
.... WRITING TO REMEMBER LIFE'S BEAUTIFUL MOMENTS...

Wednesday, February 7, 2007

That's What Friends Are For...

Through good times, through bad times... they'll be by my side forever more... that's what friends are for. So... I have been sick AGAIN this past week, this time with Strep Throat. I think it's like the 7th time I have been sick this winter. If it wasn't enough having the greatest mom ever, I am even more blessed to have great friends. I thought I just had the flu this weekend, but Monday I woke up not feeling too great. I didn't want to miss work, so I came. I got to work and realized that the flu feeling had migrated to my head and was worsening by the hour. So... I drove myself to Quickcare. I could tell I was REALLY not feeling well on my way there. I almost got in two car accidents and so I slowed down and took my time. I grabbed a bean burrito before entering the Quickcare dungeon since it can take double the time the DMV takes (yes, it almost took 3 hours). I went to take a bite of the burrito and the entire thing leaked out onto my black dress. I went to grab my water to wash it off and spilt half of the bottle on me. It was at that point in time that I just threw my hands in the air and laughed, realizing that I should have just stayed in bed that day. Enter a good friend: I text messaged Jody and told her that I was going to the doctor. She called me and said she wanted to come sit and wait with me. I don't think I've ever had a greater service done for me! The Quickcare is so icky and full of sick people. I hate going there even when I am the one who is sick. I don't know what inspired her to want to come be with me, but what a wonderful act of kindness. I want to be that kind of good friend. She then took me and I got a smoothie after, since my dress ate my burrito. Other friends text messaged me well wishes. Last night I got the cutest get well package on my doorstep with Halls "Bursts" and Kleenex and a shower soother in it. It's not even like I am dying or anything, but what a great experience it has been to have people be so thoughtful towards me. It has really warmed my heart and made me want to try harder to make someone's day just a little brighter. After all, that's why we're here, right? Thanks for being such good examples for me, friends. You are the best. Lastly, I had a high school friend die this week, Dan. We ran around in the same circle of friends together. He's had cancer since our senior year and I am just so amazed that he pulled through as long and as well as he did. He lived 10 years longer than the doctor's predicted. He was a great football player, had a great sense of humor and was a loyal friend. I remember that scary feeling I had when we found out that he had cancer. We were so young, and seemingly untouchable. The sad news seemed more appropriate for a movie, but not not for a life with so much left to experience. We knew a decade ago that he would most likely never be be married or have children. Although there were many things Dan did not get to participate in, still he was greatly loved and greatly loved others. His closest high school friends became his life as he had not been well enough to go to college or do those things we normally do in our 20's. I imagine that this great player in the game of life learned how to become the greatest cheerleader as his friend's lives, dreams and passions were shared with him and, in a sense, became his life. It's so true what they say "Life is what happens while we are making other plans". I know Dan will be missed by so many people. Thank you for being such a great example of survival, of fighting and of cheering for all around you. Dan's passing makes me ponder the question, "What kind of legacy will I leave behind? Am I working hard enough to make a difference, however small and insignificant it may be?"