Wednesday is Lady's Night at the shooting range. Yesterday I did something that I normally wouldn't do, as I think it's good to shake things up sometimes and to try new things. So... I got a group of friends together and went to the shooting range (guys brought the guns; girls brought the fear). Have I ever shot a gun before? Sure... a pellet gun. I QUICKLY learned that a pellet gun and a hand gun have very little in common. My experience at the shooting range (as detailed through my ongoing commentary that night) went something like this:
- "Boy, it sure is loud in here!"
- "Why is there fire coming out of the tip of the gun?"
- "You want me to shoot a weapon that has fire coming out of the tip of it? Can I catch on fire? No wonder it's called fire-power... they weren't kidding."
- "How bad is the kick-back from the gun? Which gun has the least kick?"
- After friend's first shot: "I didn't know the casing would fly out and hit me when you shot your gun."
- After my initial shot: "I don't want to shoot again for a little bit. I need my heart rate to come down first."
- After my second shot: "I feel like the gun is going to hit me in the face. How do I hold it so it is more stable?"
- After the knock on the window from the shooting-range Marshall: "This is why I'm so stressed out and can't process how to hold the gun. I feel like 50 people behind the counter are watching me right now." (He told me that my thumbs were lapping over each other, then came in and gave me instructional lesson #10 for the evening.)
- After shooting the 32 pistol (woman friendly, per suggestion of Mr. bullet-proof vest wearing Marshall): "Yes, that does feel like a shooting experience that I would be interested in." (Small kick back and fits perfectly into my hand, HOLD the fire.)
- After I was offered to shoot the 40 pistol, "Yeah, I think I'm done for the day." "I don't care if you call me a pansy." "You are calling me a wimp? Do we all want to leave here alive or not..."
My first bullet with the 9mm went straight into the temple of the ghost I was aiming at. Yes, I kept the target paper. I'm such a nerd. I've been thinking about getting a concealed weapons permit. After last night I'm going to have to reconsider this desire of mine. Still, I'm proud of myself for being tough enough to jump in and try something new. I wasn't worried at all until the hand gun was laying on the counter, waiting for me to load it with bullets. All of the sudden I saw my life flash before my eyes! It was pretty scary, but HILARIOUS at the same time. I was a mess, but I pulled through. Until next time... if there is one ;o) I think I may stick with shopping and pedicures ;o)