THE NELSONS

THE NELSONS
.... WRITING TO REMEMBER LIFE'S BEAUTIFUL MOMENTS...

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Life Through the Eyes of a Child...

This is my nephew. I love this picture because it captures that world conquering spirit that he has. He is very passionate about life and those in his life. He just loves Christmas. I definitely give him the HOLIDAY CHEER MEISTER award (from the Grinch Movie). Last year he spent the whole month of December walking around wrapping things and asking my sister to mail them. She, being the cute mom she is, mailed them to the requested parties with a note in each box that said "my little guy wrapped this for you. If it's something you think we need back, please let me know". The only returned item was her husband's Missionary badge from his time spent serving in the Philippines. This year he not only wrapped all his presents, but they were all things he had made. He is so thoughtful. So when I first moved here to Vegas (almost 5 years ago) I lived with my sister and her kids for a few months. He was really little. I shared a room with his sisters and I think through that experience he has come to think that I AM one of his sisters. A few months ago he said something about "our mom" to me and so I asked him, "do you think YOUR mom is MY mom to, or is your Grandma my mom"? He just looked up at me with this DUH JEN look on his face as he said, "Jen...my mom is your mom" and ran off. (By the way, my sister doesn't like this story for obvious reasons, but I think it's really cute). I had forgotten all about this conversation until I was presented with my handmade Christmas present from this little cutie bug. On the front cover of an extensive Book he had drawn and illustrated himself (this was my favorite Christmas present for sure!) he had written: "Merry Christmas presented to Jen (and he put his last name as my last name)". My eyes filled up with tears and I grabbed him and thanked him for giving me my most favorite Christmas gift. That little boy already knows the true meaning of Christmas... his face beamed much more when others were opening gifts he had given than when he opened his own gifts. Buddy - you are such a sweet boy! Thank you for making our Christmas so special.